Thursday 30 April 2015

Time to Ketchup



On a recent visit to a local market I managed to pick up a huge amount of tomatoes at a bargain price. The next question was what to do with them. Tomato chutney, or tomato soup. Both of these are nice but I fancied something different. Tomato & mozzarella salad maybe? No too many tomatoes and I don’t want to be eating tomato and mozzarella for days. I know, I will have a go at Ketchup.  After a quick search of the internet I settled for one from the super scrimpers website, it seemed easy enough so I gave it a shot, I wasn’t disappointed. Easy, tasty and cheap to make so what is there not to like about homemade ketchup.

Homemade tomato ketchup

Ingedients
·        6 x tomatoes
·        ¼ tbsp of salt
·        150ml white vinegar
·        Pinch each of: all spice, ground cloves, cayenne    pepper, cinnamon


Method
1.      Chop your tomatoes into quarters.
2.      Throw then into a pan with the salt.
3.      Pour in the vinegar.
4.      Put the pan onto the hob over a low heat for about 30 mins or until the tomatoes have gone soft.
5.      Once soft, using a sieve, strain the tomato mixture
6.      Add all the spices to the strained mix and return to the hob
7.      Reduce till you get that nice ketchup consistency

Tip
Instead of putting the all of the sauce into a jar or bottle, you can divide it into an ice cube tray and freeze to get the perfect portion block!

No comments:

Post a Comment